The College Football Playoff Committee's First Rankings- My Take

This may surprise you,[p but I love beauty pageants.  I don't necessarily enjoy watching them...  But 20 years ago participating in them, and many years later as my sister's pageant coach were some of the most thrilling times.  Those moments right before they announce the winners where your heart is beating so hard that you are sure others can hear it.  And as the emcee gives the speech that not one person gives a single shit about, all you can think of is, "JUST TELL US ALREADY!".

Of course tonight's first rankings released by the College Football Playoff Committee wasn't exactly the equivalent of someone putting a tiara on your baby sister's head.  The fact is that they don't mean much at all.  Being the resident conspiracy theorist, the reason I was tuned in so closely was just to get a feel on how each conference would be perceived.  I mean let's be honest.  SEC fatigue has become more contagious than a prostitute from Sierra Leone.  I even spent some time last night building the pic I'd use for the post I'd inevitably write after watching my beloved conference get jumped. Ya know... Because we all know this committee was born out of the hatred of 2 SEC teams playing for the National Championship just 2 trophies ago.




Don't get me wrong, my initial reaction was no different than any other Bammer.  The moment they flashed auburn across the screen, I began missing the BCS like a lost love you just can't seem to shake.  And honestly, I still miss the BCS like crazy (Call me).  But once my irrational love for Bama & my rational hate for anything orange and blue subsided, I realized this might not be a bad thing.

I. 1/4TH OF THE TOP 25 ARE SEC SCHOOLS
First of all, let me get this out of the way.  I am in no way an SEC fan.  I'm an Alabama fan.  Most teams in this conference can go die in a fire for all I care.  But I admittedly have been worried about what kind of bias would be involved in the super secret CFPC meetings.  Having such a strong representation in the inaugural top 25 gives me hope that they are really trying to rank the best teams.

II.  JUST PLAY, BABY
There are some major advantages in playing in the best division in the best conference in college football.  The Crimson Tide has a unique opportunity because we have yet to play the 1 & 3( grrr... typing that pisses me off) ranked teams in the nation.  Oh, and we host both teams at Bryant Denny Stadium where we play like a top 4 team week in and week out.  Winning will take care of itself.

III.  BAMA'S A ONE LOSS TEAM
Losing sucks.  As a devoted Bama fan, there's never a good loss.  But having the #4 team in the nation as our loss coupled with the chance to play #1 & #3 puts us in a position to control our own destiny.  Yes,  auburn taking down Ole Miss would benefit us greatly.  Keep in mind that Conference Champions will play a big role in this down the road.  Ole Miss has to lose again for us to make it to the ATL.  However, I'm gonna put my faith in Mississippi State because I WILL NOT pull for auburn. EVVA.  Sorry @jdjones12!  I love you but there's just some things this Bammer cannot do!

IV.  THE UT EXAMPLE
I won't use the 'this team is young' example.  I'm a thirty-something salesperson, and I am sometimes guilty of pulling off the throttle when my numbers are rocking.  But after such a dynamic start against the Vols, this team undoubtedly lost focus.  Unlike the 2010 team, I don't think it's a problem with entitlement.  It's more of a case of 'We got dis'.  So let me say in my best Nick Saban voice , "This is a tremendous coaching opportunity, aight".

I still don't feel warm and fuzzy about this new system.  Something that was supposed to be so transparent is murkier than the Warrior River.  But if their initial rankings are any indication, I'm gonna need to buy some lottery tickets to hit soon because The Tide's post season will be mighty expensive, y'all.

Nick Saban once said it best.  At the end of the day, "It's not about who you play, I think it's about who you are".

Cuz if it means something to you, you can't stand still!

MAKE THEIR ASS QUIT!!! 

Thanks to Ricky & Sherri McKee for helping me speak English!  Sometimes it's so hard when you're this passionate! Roll McKees!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Recruitment of Elisha Shaw

Iron Bowl Problems

Rammer Jammer~A Video Diary