Enough With The Neutral Site Games!!!

Earlier today, news broke that The Crimson Tide had finalized plans to meet up with USC in 2016.  HELL YES!!! I was all like OMG!  HOW FREAKING EXCITING!!!  Two of the most storied programs... Two dynasties...  It's about dang time!!!  Of course as I read on, I realized it was yet another neutral site game.  Well crap...

I've been to several of the neutral site games.  Come to think of it, I guess I've only missed one.  2009 Va Tech- check.  2012 Michigan- I was there.  2013 Va Tech- present.  When we first started doing this, I actually loved this concept!  It has always been a great trip & I hear it really helps with recruiting.

However, I'm officially sick of it.  I realize that a trip to the ATL is easy & can make for a fabulous weekend.  I understand experiencing a state of the art facility like Jerry World is pretty awesome.  I get all that...  But I'm sick of Atlanta & I almost had a heat stroke going to Arlington in 2012.  There's so many changes in college football as it continues to grow.  And I admittedly hate change.  Going to a playoff wasn't on my wishlist.  I liked the BCS.  But I completely 'get' the reasoning behind all that.

Conversely, I just cannot understand these neutral site games.  With the technology & the 3,000 channels broadcasting so many games every weekend...  With the ever evolving difficulty & expense associated with going to games...  Those of us who still religiously try to attend games are getting more & more frustrated.  I love the gameday atmosphere more than anyone!  I pay a lot of money for my season tickets & pay a good bit more to try & go to as many away games as I can every year.  I love visiting all the historic stadiums in Division I football & all that entails.
  • Georgia 2008-  The blackout was epic.  I'd never been to their campus & it was surreal seeing all the black being sported around campus.  And after we completely dominated the first half, the guy behind me (we were in a UGA booster section) politely tapped me on the shoulder & asked who the hell sold me those tickets.  We had no expectation of winning against the preseason #1 pick that night but we did.  And it is the greatest regular season away game I've ever experienced.
  • Kentucky 2009- I dreaded this trip.  Seriously.  I did not want to go.  But we were able to go to every game that year (something I had never done) and I just couldn't miss it.  Shockingly, this is still one of my favorite road game trips.  Lexington is awesome!
I could go on and on but the point I'm trying to make is how awesome it is experiencing different stadiums.  Every school has such unique and awesome traditions & that's why I always try to go to at least one away game a year.  But the atmosphere at these neutral site games just can't replicate an afternoon in Knoxville or a night in Baton Rouge.  Yeah... Yeah.. . I've heard the argument about how great it is for recruiting.  And I don't buy it.

This will be my 6th year being a season ticket holder.  I really don't know if there will be a seventh.  Of course, I could keep purchasing them only to rape my fellow Bammers. But I refuse to profit on my tickets with so many fellow fans on a ridiculous waiting list.  And unlike the NCAA, I don't have any interest in prostituting out something I love so much.

With all the change coming to this sport I love so much, maybe this neutral site trend will soon die out.  I've been to the Georgia Dome too many times.  And I was uber impressed with Jerryworld.  But if you wanna keep us season ticket holders much longer, I'd consider a few more home and homes...

Give me the chance to see these stadiums...  Otherwise, your attendance will continue to suffer....

The Big House- Michigan

The Coliseum- USC


The Horse Shoe- Ohio State

Texas Memorial Stadium- Texas Longhorns
'
Camp Randall- Wisconsin


Maybe Coach Saban should spend a little less time bitching about attendance & a little more time trying help our season ticket ticket package not sucking so much....





Comments

  1. I actually thoroughly enjoyed this article. I thought it was well-written, and proved a point. I have always been a fan of the neutral site games. That's probably because of our continued success in them. Either way, they will always have a soft spot in my heart. However, with that being said, I would like to experience some of college football's other "cathedrals". And, I do NOT want to do as a neutral guest. I want to go to South Bend and watch Bama beat Notre Dame by double digits. I want to watch Ohio State honor a prestigious alumni by having him dot the i, and then having his special day ruined by our defense holding the Buckeyes to 7 points. So, basically, you've kind of swayed me Heather. Good work.

    P.S. I'm so glad to know that someone else out there supported the BCS over the playoffs. In case our fans seem to have forgotten, the BCS had worked pretty well in our favor. Why change a good thing? Anyways, that's all for. Roll Tide!!

    Chris Pennington

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris! I knew there was someone out there that would agree with me!!! RTR!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Recruitment of Elisha Shaw

Iron Bowl Problems

Rammer Jammer~A Video Diary