It's World Encephalitis Day. You May Wanna Read This.

Happy World Encephalitis Day!!!

Except there's nothing happy about Encephalitis.  Before last December, I couldn't tell you the first thing about it.  Later on, I learned most doctors can't either.  But you aren't immune.  Your children aren't immune.  Nobody is immune from this devil virus.  It doesn't discriminate and nobody is safe.  And if you or somebody you love gets the misfortune of contracting encephalitis... Well, odds are your lives will be changed forever.

"You've never heard of encephalitis?  Well, I hadn't either... Until I was left 
with a permanent brain injury"

The scariest part of encephalitis is that nobody knows anything about it.  It's virtually impossible to do trials on it because it's so rare, an adequate number of subjects is almost impossible.  I know what you're thinking.  I'd think the same.  Such a rare disease would never affect me & this is just some blogger venting.  And most likely, you'd be correct....

Encephalitis came into my life in early December of 2012.  I have a baby sister who I adore.  And she had found the man of her dreams.  His name was Kevin.  Kev & I grew really close & he overcame obstacles that I hope none of you ever have to endure.  He lived for 2 things; his Ashley & his job as a narcotics officer.  He was the funniest & most loving person you'd ever meet.  He spent his days arresting drug dealers & he spent the rest of his time loving my sister.  It was an awesome but average existence.  But one day, he couldn't talk anymore.  Luckily, his Ash is a nursing student & realized something was really wrong with her prince!  

It was an exhausting struggle.  See, when you get encephalitis, it's almost always the equivalent to an acquired brain injury.  Your brain is literally on fire & when you are lucky enough to find someone to put out that fire... Well, things just aren't the same. Ever.  Our sweet Kevin went from such a life force to a lost child.  And nobody understood what he was going through.




I'll spare you the heart wrenching details, but encephalitis beat us.  And it changed us forever.  We weren't any different from you.  But we lost a great man that meant a lot to so many people.  So please take a moment.  Just a small piece of time.  And educate yourself.

I never dreamed it would wreck my world either.... Do you really think you are immune?



I'll never be able to talk to Kevin again.  But you don't have to carry this burden.  Educate yourselves! We lost a great man to this virus.  And my sister's life, my life, & many others are forever changed.  We hope that you will show your support to help promote the day and to share our message with as many people as possible.  I'd give anything to hear Kev's voice again. But since I can't, will you help me prevent this from happening to you?
ONE VOICE MATTERS.





THANKS FOR STOPPING BY, Y'ALL! ROLL TIDE! ROLL MY SWEET KEV!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Recruitment of Elisha Shaw

Iron Bowl Problems

Rammer Jammer~A Video Diary