My Trip To NOLA: Voodoo Queens & Fallen Kings?

I rarely watch tv but I'm obsessed with American Horror Story: Coven. Jessica Lange just owns me. Couple that with my love for 'the quarter' & you have the makings for a dang fine trip.  So as much as I hate consolation prizes, I had a really good time in New Orleans this week....  It isn't often you get to break 3 or 4 laws with your mom to get to see the infamous Marie Laveaux's tomb, after all.


Yep.  We broke into the graveyard... With the help of a very nice crackhead. He even gave us a little background on Madame Laveaux.  So we scaled the wall of crumbling bricks!  Our hearts were racing!  Here we were. Locked in a graveyard with the Voodoo Queen & we had no idea if we could escape. As we wondered along the isles of crumbling tombs, we finally found her resting place.  Offerings of coins, cheap silk flowers, & even cigarettes were scattered about.  So we did the ritual we had read about & knocked 3 times & chanted an age old poem....

And made a wish...


In retrospect, I guess I should've wished for Bama to win the Sugar Bowl.  But when you break into a famous graveyard with the knowledge of your team winning 3 of the last 4 crystal balls, that would be kinda like wishing for warm weather in August, right?

WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING?

I won't admit to being spoiled. I had seen the cracks all year in this team.  And who wouldn't tap on Laveaux's grave 3 times & wish for a kickass pass rusher?  Well, me. But we are Alabama! We got this...

I guess my visit with the Voodoo Queen gave me some clarity because once I was lost... But now I'm found...  The simple fact is you win by the process & you lose due to the process. That whole mindset was created for consistency & sustainability.  But there's a reason Auburn has "Beat Bama" painted on a room in their athletic department.  Sometimes it's not just another game. And sometimes you gotta let hate motivate you.  Auburn has gotten pretty darn good at doing it.  And don't think Stoops' pre-season comments didn't fire up his team to play lights out this week.



The process works.  Alabama is dominating the college football world of late.  And our beloved coach made us a promise 7 years ago today that we have an opponent in this state that we'll work 365 days a year to dominate. I still believe this year is an anomaly for auburn.  But Saban has some big decisions to make.

In an interview this week, Jeff Stoutland was asked about the up tempo offense.  His reply, "here's why it's difficult in my opinion. Some of the best defensive minds, Bill Belichick and people like that, make a living on special packages, special situations. What's the down and distance? Okay, it's third-&-seven. We have this package for that. Okay, it's third-&-one. We have this package for that. It's all different packages. Well, you're not really allowing people to get in & out of those packages when you run and up tempo offense. That's uncomfortable for those people".

Maybe Saban has more in common with Bryant than just a statue... But what do I know?  I truly believe this team was held together all year by silly putty. And we all had a false sense of security. That being said, our beloved coach has less than 365 days to figure out how to beat that opponent across the state because it is much more fun when they're our bitch.

New Orleans was a grand time,  y'all!!!



Roll Tide & Roll 2014!!!

Thanks for stopping by, y'all...
Whenever we played teams who ran this style of offense, it was nerve-racking for the defensive coaches. Here’s why it’s difficult in my opinion. Some of the best defensive minds, coach (Bill) Belichick and people like that, those people make a living on special packages, special situations. What’s the down and distance? Ok, it’s third-and-seven. We have this package for that. Ok, it’s third-and-one. We have this package for that. It’s all different packages.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagles/208948441.html#bVRuJJTHsdbwBIQW.99
Whenever we played teams who ran this style of offense, it was nerve-racking for the defensive coaches. Here’s why it’s difficult in my opinion. Some of the best defensive minds, coach (Bill) Belichick and people like that, those people make a living on special packages, special situations. What’s the down and distance? Ok, it’s third-and-seven. We have this package for that. Ok, it’s third-and-one. We have this package for that. It’s all different packages.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagles/208948441.html#bVRuJJTHsdbwBIQW.99

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Recruitment of Elisha Shaw

Iron Bowl Problems

Rammer Jammer~A Video Diary