California Dreaming....



The Alabama nation's been doing it all season long.  From the time I walked out of Sun Life Stadium in January until the time I watched the now infamous errant kick in the Iron Bowl in November, I was planning my trip to Pasadena.  And for the past month, there's been a bitterness growing inside me...  There's been a sense of dread leading all the way up to last night's final BCS National Championship game.  Bama should be playing FSU in the Rose Bowl, dammit! And I gotta admit, I had somewhat bought into this team of destiny.  After the prayer in Jordan Hare & kick six, you gotta admit, they DID have a pretty convincing argument behind all that destiny nonsense.

But last night ended up being the storybook ending to the irony that is the 2013 football season.  Seriously. I mean, I couldn't have penned a better ending if given the chance.  Who could have predicted that 2 of the most pivotal plays of the game would involve Ricardo Lewis, the hero of the Georgia game, & Chris Davis, the Iron Bowl golden boy?  In Auburn's first possession, auburn quarterback Nick Marshall's pass intended for Lewis was thrown short forcing auburn to punt.  Had Lewis caught it, he could've floated into the endzone for a touchdown.  Fast forward to the final minute of the game & Davis was called for pass interference on third-and-8 at the 10 yard line. He followed it up with failing to knock the ball loose on Kelvin Benjamin's game winning touchdown.  These bookend plays, coupled with FSU's fake punt, sealed this team of destiny's fate.

Frankly, Davis's entire game was like a group therapy session for the Bama nation.  Don't try to deny smirking watching him slip & slide all over the Rose Bowl (fistbump to the REC member that greased his cleats).  And if you weren't downright giddy watching him crash into Ryan Smith when trying to tackle Rashad Greene, you're clearly a barner.  Thanks to ESPN, we can relive that 49 yard gain over & over again.  After that performance, I'm pretty sure there will be no standing ovations for Davis in class this week.


Last night, auburn & FSU gave everyone the perfect ending to the BCS era. And as I sat there watching our coach putting on an absolute clinic during the postgame analysis, something happened.  My couch felt a little softer, my wine tasted a little sweeter... I won't deny that I've been bitter for over a month.  But watching auburn lose in the final BCS National Championship made everything feel normal again... Something about them losing makes everything right in the world. 

I guess it was just auburn's destiny to be the team that will forever be known as the ones responsible for breaking the SEC's streak...


Thanks for stopping by, y'all! Roll Tide!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Recruitment of Elisha Shaw

Iron Bowl Problems

Rammer Jammer~A Video Diary