It's A God Thing....

      It's a cold, overcast Tuesday & I'm curled up with hot chocolate listening to Finebaum. Most of my fellow 'Bammers' have sworn this show off this week because auburn fans can be downright painful when they have a team that can actually win some games. But I find it quite interesting. 
Honestly, I find everything about that fanbase interesting. 

     I'm definitely still a little hurt over the devastating & shocking loss I witnessed Saturday evening in Auburn. In an Iron Bowl that nobody predicted Bama could lose, 87,000 people saw some plays that were downright jaw dropping.  Most football fans would write it off as luck mixed with preparation. But not Auburn. To them, it's a God thing. And they really believe this. I wonder if they imagine a man cave somewhere in heaven decked out in orange & blue where God invites his peeps over on Saturdays to pull for His team.  They even dressed their mascot as an angel Saturday. Seriously. Aubie was sporting a flippin' angel outfit. You can't make this stuff up!


     As my mom & I walked around 'the loveliest village on the plains' before the game (which by the way, I'm not sure why it's called the plains because that place has some serious hills), this whole God theme was everywhere.  At tailgates, hanging above the kegs & the buzzed auburn fans, signs like this one were hung proudly:


     Luckily, the entire fanbase was completely rude to us Saturday. Those who accidentally made eye contact with us looked downright nauseated when we spoke to them.  I say luckily because I couldn't imagine being able to control my laughter the first time one of them said, "War damn eagle! Jesus loves you".  There's just so much irony wrapped up in this fanbase... 

     Now don't get me wrong. I'm not laughing at religion or God. I just have dealt with so many real problems in my life that I've turned to him for, I just don't feel comfortable praying to him over a football game. The fact that they think God even cares about football is the type of narcissism that defines the auburn fanbase. 

     And add their hypocrisy to their narcissism, & you will understand why Bama fans detest them.  Just yesterday, 2 fans were debating the validity of a picture of Chris Davis going out of bounds.  An auburn fan interrupts the debate to tell the Bama fan that she's "fucking nuts".  How Godly of her!!!  That's auburn for you.  The reality is that they use religion when it benefits them. But the hate and the lies that spew out of them 365 days a year is the furthest thing from Godly that I've ever seen.

     Auburn beat my team Saturday. I can whine about blown calls, a bad kicker, etc. But at the end of the day, my team was outplayed and outcoached. I accept that. It doesn't change the fact that I love my team. But the thought of living with the cult of Auburn for the next 365 days makes me wanna check out some real estate.... In Maine.

Thanks for stopping by, y'all!!! Roll Tide!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Recruitment of Elisha Shaw

Iron Bowl Problems

Rammer Jammer~A Video Diary